The author is recognized worldwide as an authority of great experience on endangered parrots and the parrot family, the general problems of the rainforest areas are all the more poignant, for many beautiful parrot species are as threatened as their habitats. Many of them are on the brink of extinction. controversial status of species taken for aviculture from the wild. It counters the opinion that the hobby is responsible for reducing wild stock but also emphasizes the importance of conserving the world’s wild stocks and encouraging responsible captive breeding.
The attempts which have been made to aid their survival are detailed, where these have occurred. In some cases, however, conservation programs are non-existent and the number of parrots is declining rapidly. Possible methods of conserving them are discussed, the most practical of which is captive breeding.
This book concerns not only the parrots but also the world. It tells the story of their plight, highlighting the sad fact that the only hope of survival for some of the species is to be bred in captivity until the world comes to its senses and realizes the true value of these wonderful living things.
With the sample chapters with lots of detail and information:
1. Why Parrots are Endangered
2. Deforestation: the crucial Issue
3. Macaws: Majestic, Magnificent and Threatened
4. A Conure More Precious than Gold
5. Australian Parrots in Danger
6. The Role of Aviculture in Conservation
7. A Practical Method of Conservation: Captive Breeding
8. Is Reintroduction Feasible?
9. Future Priorities in Parrot Aviculture
We have other books by Rosemary Low! Check them out!
- Condition: New
- Hardcover: 160 pages with dust jacket
- Publisher: Sterling Publishing Co. Inc (1984)
- Language: English
- Illustrations: B&W and Colour photographs and hand illustrations
- ISBN-10: 0713713666
- ISBN-13: 978-0713713664
- Product Dimensions: 25.5 x 19.5 x 1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 600 g