In this book, Stanley Smith has made a special study of the Bird Dogs of the World, showing how they developed and where they originated. It all makes fascinating reading. Starting from ascent history and the early development of the dog, he traces the uses made of the Hunting Dog in Ancient Egypt some 8000 years ago and on to the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Assyrians, and other races up to the present day.
An unusual feature is the coverage of the Game Birds, which are the quarry of the Bird Dogs. After descriptions of the various breeds, there is a chapter on selecting and training a puppy for pointing and retrieving. The author is a keen breeder and enthusiast of the gun-dog breeds and has been actively concerned with them for more than 40 years.
- Condition: New
- Hardcover: 182 pages with dust jacket
- Publisher: Nimrod Press Ltd (1989)
- Language: English
- Illustrations: B&W photos and hand drawings
- ISBN-10: 1852591765
- ISBN-13: 978-1852591762
- Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 15 x 1.9 cm
- Shipping Weight: 490 g
|1. Ancient History
2. Early Development of the Pointer Types
3. The Game Birds and Related Species
4. The Pointer, Setter, Spaniel and Other Breeds
5. The Brittany
|6. Training Your Puppy
There are no reviews yet.